"The Teacher That Goes First"

I had been thinking earlier in the day about how little influence it feels like the laity have when it comes to matters of influence in the parish, the chancery, the diocese or the Vatican. Or maybe they have more power than they know. I don't know, honestly. I am not an activist by nature, and so rallying or writing letters to the bishop are not usually my first inclination. I don't know what to 'do' when action is required, but justice cries for action, and so we all must do our part in some way. I am praying and struggling to discern what exactly that is.

The situation we have in this "second wave" sexual abuse scandal in the Church and in local dioceses is so damaging. But sexual abuse happens in families, in schools, in society at large...what is it about its prevalence in the Church that is especially hard for the faithful? The Church is made up of sinful men who fall, but She is also held to a much higher standard. Frankly, the extent to which this abuse occurs should not be happening and compromises her living witness.

Pope Benedict XVI said: "Faith both in the Immaculate Conception and in the bodily Assumption of the Virgin was already present in the People of God, while theology had not yet found the key to interpreting it in the totality of the doctrine of the faith. The People of God therefore precede theologians and this is all thanks to that supernatural sensus fidei, namely, that capacity infused by the Holy Spirit that qualifies us to embrace the reality of the faith with humility of heart and mind. In this sense, the People of God is the 'teacher that goes first' and must then be more deeply examined and intellectually accepted by theology." (General Audience, 7 July 2010)

The people of God are mad. We are not insulated by lawyers and PR firms. Most of us, especially the most outraged, have children and when we look at our children we think of the victims. So, the sensus fidei here is not about issues of doctrine (and may not be an appropriate use of the term), but about 'going first' when our leaders have failed to take suitable action. I'm not talking about policies and procedures, but righteousness, as our Lord said "For I say to you that unless your righteousness surpasses that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will not enter the kingdom of heaven" (Mt 5:20). This is not a Cesar Chavez kind of people's revolution to call for, not looking to overthrow anything or coup. We just want to see the Church be what She is, what She is meant to be.

This evening I was reading the story of the appearance of Our Lady of Guadalupe to the peasant Juan Diego. It was a telling tale, the story of a simple peasant, Juan Diego, to whom the Virgin came with an instruction to have a church built. He was nervous about having to go to the Bishop because he did not feel he would be believed. He was a nobody, a simple Indian and was regarded as one. But he goes to the Bishop at our Lady's command.

"He returned on the same day. He came directly to the top of the hill, met the Lady from heaven, who was awaiting him, in the same spot where he saw her the first time. Seeing her, prostrated before her, he said: “Lady, the least of my daughters, my Child, I went where you sent me to comply with your command. With difficulty I entered the prelate’s study. I saw him and exposed your message, just as you instructed me. He received me benevolently and listened attentively, but when he replied, it appeared that he did not believe me. He said: “You will return; I will hear you at my pleasure. I will review from the beginning the wish and desire which you have brought.” I perfectly understood by the manner he replied that he believes it to be an invention of mine that you wish that a temple be built here to you, and that it is not your order; for which I exceedingly beg, Lady and my Child, that you entrust the delivery of your message to someone of importance, well known, respected, and esteemed, so that they may believe in him; because I am a nobody, I am a small rope, a tiny ladder, the tail end, a leaf, and you, my Child, the least of my children, my Lady, you send me to a place where I never visit nor repose. Please excuse the great unpleasantness and let not fretfulness befall, my Lady and my All.”

He begs our lady to deliver the message to "someone important," since "He [the bishop] did not believe me." The prospect of going to the diocesan palaces in Mexico City must have been intimidating. But he was chosen, specifically, by the Virgin to carry out her work, for the task at hand.

"The Blessed Virgin answered: “Hark, my son the least, you must understand that I have many servants and messengers, to whom I must entrust the delivery of my message, and carry my wish, but it is of precise detail that you yourself solicit and assist and that through your mediation my wish be complied. I earnestly implore, my son the least, and with sternness I command that you again go tomorrow and see the bishop. You go in my name, and make known my wish in its entirety that he has to start the erection of a temple which I ask of him. And again tell him that I, in person, the ever-virgin Holy Mary, Mother of God, sent you.”

Juan Diego replied:

“Lady, my Child, let me not cause you affliction. Gladly and willingly I will go to comply your mandate. Under no condition will I fail to do it, for not even the way is distressing. I will go to do your wish, but perhaps I will not be heard with liking, or if I am heard I might not be believed."

Juan Diego was regarded by those in the bishop's palace as "the molesting type." He was "pestering them." Does any of this sound familiar, the "little ones" who are trying to do what is right by taking their concerns to the bishop?

"When he reached the bishop’s palace, there came to meet him the majordomo and other servants of the prelate. He begged them to tell the bishop that he wished to see him, but none were willing, pretending not to hear him, probably because it was too early, or because they already knew him as being of the molesting type, because he was pestering them; and, moreover, they had been advised by their co-workers that they had lost sight of him, when they had followed him."

He was treated by the prelates as the nobody he was. But he had a surprise for them.

"He waited a long time. When they saw that he had been there a long time, standing, crestfallen, doing nothing, waiting to be called, and appearing like he had something which he carried in his tilma, they came near him, to see what he had and to satisfy themselves. Juan Diego, seeing that he could not hide what he had, and on account of that he would be molested, pushed or mauled, uncovered his tilma a little, and there were the flowers; and upon seeing that they were all different rosas de Castilla, and out of season, they were thoroughly amazed, also because they were so fresh and in full bloom, so fragrant and so beautiful. They tried to seize and pull some out, but they were not successful the three times they dared to take them. They were not lucky because when then tried to get them, they were unable to see real flowers. Instead, they appeared painted or stamped or sewn on the cloth. Then they went to tell the bishop what they had seen and that the Indian who had come so many times wished to see him, and that he had reason enough so long anxiously eager to see him."

When the truth is revealed, the bishop and all present "fell to their knees" and "shuddered with sorrow, shedding sorrowful tears" for ignoring Our Lady and her servant.


"When the bishop saw the image, he and all who were present fell to their knees. She was greatly admired. They arose to see her; they shuddered and, with sorrow, they demonstrated that they contemplated her with their hearts and minds. The bishop, with sorrowful tears, prayed and begged forgiveness for not having attended her wish and request. When he rose to his feet, he untied from Juan Diego’s neck the cloth on which appeared the Image of the Lady from heaven. Then he took it to be placed in his chapel. Juan Diego remained one more day in the bishop’s house, at his request."

Juan Diego was a simple "little one" who had a message to carry to the Church. Like so many other "little ones" before him who have been entrusted with the secrets of the Kingdom and the requests of Our Lady, he was made suspect, ignored, treated like a peasant, and scoffed at. But it is to these the Kingdom of Heaven belongs, remember. I can't help but draw some rough parallels...maybe not fully connected dots, but at least with regards to my state-I am not a victim and have not suffered trauma at the hands of the Church, but as a simple layman with no clear understanding of what he is to "do" on their behalf and out of love of Christ and His Bride, and who is super intimidated by anything ecclesiastical, I trust the witness of St. Diego and hold him up as a model in this age for us laity: to be simple, to trust Our Lady in love and obedience, to not be afraid, to know the Truth, and to do what we are told in prayer.

St. Juan Diego, pray for us!


Comments