Day 33: Finding Rest

I've been up since 3 am this morning, got 3 hrs sleep Monday night, and have about fifteen minutes to write before I head out the door this morning. Let's see how I do for a speed-post!

It's been a hard week for Deb and I for a lot of different reasons. Lot of running around, and also late night talks at the kitchen table. The idea of rest is alluring. So when we heard at Mass on Sunday that the Franciscan Friars of the Renewal were visiting our parish to give a three day retreat, it came at the right time.

We hustled after work and dropped the kids off at Deb's sister's house. When we got to church it was pretty crowded, which I was surprised by. The sanctuary was dark and lit by candlelight. The young friars were strumming their guitars with quiet music. These are joyful, young, bearded guys, on fire with the Holy Spirit. We settled into a pew. Jesus was present on the alter in the Blessed Sacrament. The friar leading encouraged us to just be present before God, who is truly present before us.

Adoration is one of my favorite forms of prayer because I don't have to be 'on.' I don't have to be active. I can just rest and be, which is what we so desperately needed this week. We laid all our fears and anxieties and weariness before the Lord. Deb started crying, and I just closed my eyes. One of the friars shared his story--an aerospace engineer from Japan, whose father was an American diplomat, who was not satisfied with what he had in the world and found joy and fulfillment in the priesthood. Another friar shared that he was seeking all the pleasures of the world in Southern California after graduation and nothing seemed to satisfy, that is, until he turned his life over to the Lord. We both got the chance to go to Confession.

It was a simple, hour and a half weekday retreat--Adoration, praise worship music, confession, testimony. But it was just what we needed to prep for Holy Week. Deb's sister made a comment when were dropping the kids off that it seemed like a lot of running around just to be able to pray, and was it worth it. When you are stretched so thin and have nowhere else to turn to find rest, full of worry, the answer is obvious, it seems an easy thing to cut. But just to be with him for an hour and half, undisturbed and strengthened, in silence...I can't think of any better way to spend that time. Thank you, Lord, for the gift of YOURSELF!


"My burden is light."
(Mt 11:30)