Day 6: Give Recklessly

Of the three Pillars of Lent--fasting, prayer, and almsgiving--I'd wager that the one living in the shadows that is most neglected is almsgiving. We are expected to fast on certain days like Ash Wednesday and Good Friday, as well as observe the prescribed days of abstinence (no meat) on Fridays. We are of course called to deepen our prayer life, maybe with daily mass or spiritual reading.

But giving? What does this look like? How much?? We have no problem with someone telling us when and how to fast, what amount to eat, or ways we can increase our time in prayer. But when someone urges us to open our pocket books or wallets as a matter of seasonal obligation, well, we bristle a bit don't we? No-one likes to be compelled into giving. After all, we have so many bills and payments to make, we might at most be able to put an extra fiver in the collection plate or the CRS rice bowl. And even that we mete out grudgingly.

And yet, God's economy does not work the way we think it should. God does not mete out mercy, but fills cups to overflowing (Ps 23:5).

He does not ration out a few bottles of mid-grade wine, but transforms 120-180 GALLONS of water into the finest of choice wines at a wedding in which they had run out, enough for everyone to drink their fill for days and days.

He praises the seemingly irresponsible act of a widow putting in her last penny to the temple box, the money she was supposed to use to live on (Lk 20:45-21:4)

In 1 Kings 17, a hungry Elijah comes to a widow who is literally only has enough for her last meal "that we may make it--and die" (v. 12) and encourages her to trust God and make him a cake with the last of the flour and oil. She does so, and the jar of flour and oil miraculously did not run dry (v 16).

In John 6, the people following Jesus are hungry, and Jesus multiplies a few meager loaves and fishes to feed 5,000, with everyone having their fill, and with twelve baskets left over (Jn 6:1-15)


I'll never forget watching a sermon of the pastor Francis Chan on Youtube titled, "Lukewarm, and Loving It."  Now, Francis Chan is a pretty extreme guy. He takes the Gospel message literally, trusts in Providence to provide, and lives very modestly with his large family despite making millions of dollars on his books. Other pastors are a little bit wary of his way of following the gospel. But I love it, because it is from the heart and even a little crazy.

In his sermon, he is relating the story of Zacchaeus the chief tax collector in Luke 19, "this little Danny DeVito type guy that jumps out of a tree yelling 'Take my money! I don't care! Because JESUS HAS INVITED ME INTO HIS HOUSE! I don't care about money because I'VE. GOT. GOD.' "Today," Jesus says, "Salvation has come to this house." (Lk 19:9)

(Have a look, it is from about minute 10 to minute 14):


When I saw this clip a few years ago, it was really culture shock but the message stayed with me--God wants us to give everything, cheerfully and generously and--dare I say--recklessly. I've always prided myself on being responsible and prudent with money. I'm a planner and budgeter by nature. I wasn't taught to give to the poor growing up--that's what taxes and government programs and charities were for. It seemed totally irresponsible to give the way Francis Chan was advocating through the example of this rich guy Zacchaeus, with such recklessness.

And yet, tonight, I did just that. I'm reluctant to write about it because we are encouraged to "not let our left hand know what our right hand is doing" when we give. I wish I could tell someone else's story rather than my own, but this is what I have to work with. I don't like making a show of things like this, and it's not the first time we have done it, but I'm going to write about it because I thought it was so cool that God gave us the opportunity to give at that precise moment. Here's the story:

I was scrolling through Facebook and came across a post by a friend of a friend whom I don't know, a homeschooling mom whose husband had lost his job and whose car had just broken down. She was upset that they didn't have money to repair the car, and they didn't know what they were going to do.  Many people were offering advice and condolences, encouraging her to pray this or that novena, asking it might be the battery, etc.

Before I could think about it or scroll through, I was sending her a message asking her address so I could send a check for a not-so-small amount to cover the cost of repairs. I did it before I could think about it or second-guess myself. I felt God was giving me a simple opportunity, and I didn't want it to pass by. I don't even know this woman. It was impulsive and kind of reckless, but I really did feel like God was providing an opportunity to practice 'generous sowing,' as Paul writes about in 2 Corinthians:

"Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work...you will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion, and through us your generosity will result in thanksgiving to God." (2 Cor 9:6-11)

He goes on,

"This service that you perform is not only supplying the needs of God's people but is also overflowing in many expressions of thanks to God. Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves, men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else. And in their prayers for you their hearts will go out to you, because of the surpassing grace God has given you. Thanks be to God for his indescribable gift!" (12-15)

I haven't heard back from the woman yet--I hope I do, and that she will oblige, but it's not really important, ultimately. What I praise God for is the opportunity, to cultivate and practice a spirit of generosity--an opportunity which is all around us, everywhere. You learn by doing. Even then, we are a far cry from giving from our need rather than our abundance, like the widow, but you have to start somewhere. All we have is a gift from God, and we can't take it with us when we die (Lk 12:20).

You don't have to look far for opportunities to give. Don't over think it. Don't weigh it out, cost-benefit style. Just give. Give til it hurts, in the way it hurts when you fast. When we think too much we get hung up and short-circuit the gentle whisper of the Spirit. You may be surprised by how God blesses you in return.

Thanks be to God, whose love is everlasting!


"A generous man will himself be blessed." 
(Prov 22:9)

Comments