Day 12: What If It's All True?

I think most of us know when we are not being true to the law of God written on our hearts. What does St. Paul say in his letter to the Romans?:

"Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law, since they show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts now accusing, now even defending them." (Rom 2:14-15)

And so there have been many conversations I have had that have started like this:

Friend or acquaintance: "I don't think X/Y/Z is wrong. I think X/Y/Z should be legal. I don't think X/Y/Z is a sin." Etc.

Me: "Ok. Tell me more."

Sometimes from there it will take an intellectual, historical or theological bent, arguing this or that proscription in the 14th century was because of this or that, times were different, didn't have our understanding of science today, etc etc. Sometimes it goes the way of culture, that the Church is so out of touch and so not credible and get with the times already. Sometimes it's just plain ignorance or apathy, employing soundbite defenses. Sometimes it is personal and emotional, coming from a place of hurt or betrayal of trust.

Usually I will just listen, sometimes I will offer a little something here or there. Sometimes I can see my friend's point, where they are coming from. But in the back of my mind what I want, what I really want to propose is:

"Let's just say for argument's sake: what if God says it's wrong? What if it is beyond a measure of doubt that such-and-such is sinful, offends God? How would that change things for you?"

Then we get into the nitty-gritty. Because it's no longer an intellectual debate or a back and forth or an 'open to differing views', or some problem with the church or hypocritical Christians. Assuming the premise is clear--that such and such thing that I hold to be 'o.k.' is in reality displeasing to God--the 'debate' is over. If our ultimate calling in life is to "Know, love, and serve God in this life, so we may be happy with him in the next," what recourse do we have to do anything otherwise?

Search your heart, where the law of God is written, and be honest with yourself: If the life you are living is morally objectionable and sinful, and God has made it clear that it does not please him, what are you going to do? What if it's true? What if it's all true? Does anything else matter??

We have a tendency to try to maneuver God into our the lives we have made for ourselves, rather than changing our lives to conform to the way we should be living, in a way pleasing to him. Doing the latter costs us, costs us big sometimes, and so instead we construct theological acrobatics to explain that God did not *really* mean this or that when he said as much, or we turn a blind eye to this or that, so we can continue to live the kind of lives we want to live.

I imagine it is harder in protestant traditions that have multiple interpretations depending on what pastor you speak with, and no central authority aside from scripture alone, to nail down, say, the moral problems of IVF, or euthanasia, or gay marriage, in the way the Catholic Church does. Search hard enough and you'll probably find someone to support your cause or give a pass. But what if, just what if, God had a problem with it. Is it unreasonable to think that is a possibility? Even if there is a 50% chance that what you are doing or how you are living will send you to hell, is it a chance worth taking? What then?

Then maybe we are being called to reform our lives and conform them to His. God give us opportunity after opportunity to change, to turn away from sin in a spirit of metanoia and follow him. But when we die, it is too late. When we die saying to God, "no thanks. I will not follow. I will not listen. I will not repent," we have make our choice and chosen our ultimate fate.

The immediacy and urgency of John the Baptist's hairy message--Prepare the way for the LORD make straight paths for him and REPENT FOR THE KINGDOM OF HEAVEN IS AT HAND! (Mt 3:3)--makes this back and forth speculation about whether x/y/z is really a sin?, a big deal in God's eyes?, o.k. for all intents and purposes? seem completely off the mark. What he is saying with wide eyes and shaking fist is "Get yourself in line! Get your house in order! Whatever it is, whatever you need to do, DO IT because HE IS COMING!" He's being a hair-shirt-wearing meanie for a reason, because Ain't Nobody Got Time For That!

Search your heart this season: what is keeping you from fellowship with the LORD? What makes you drop your eyes in the shadow of his gaze? What is keeping you from turning away from whatever it is in your life that offends Him?

I'll end with a story from Abby Johnson, a former abortion worker, about the day she left Planned Parenthood for good. I teared up when I read it for the first time, how good is the LORD, and so I share it here:

"I gathered my things and walked through the heavy metal door for the last time. I remember it slamming shut and it seemed so loud...louder than usual...it was like the door knew that I was closing an eight year chapter of my life. 
A young man with the pro-life group next door was out on the sidewalk to make sure I was able to leave without incident...it was just the day before that I had walked into their office and told them I wanted out. 
I waved at him and told him that I would come to their office the next day. I got in my car and took a deep breath. This was it. I was really leaving. I had no job...no prospects for a job. I was leaving my friends behind. My life was about to be turned upside down. I was scared. But I had to leave. 
I pulled out of that driveway for the last time and took a left. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw that young man on the sidewalk raise his arms in the air and fall to his knees. 
My life has never been the same. 
Conversion is real. Believe it."


"To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams." 
(1 Sam 15:22)

Comments