Pity the Fool

Scripture says there are two kinds of fools in the world:

"The fool [who] says in his heart, 'There is no God.' (Ps 14:1)

And the ones who say:
"We are fools for Christ..." (1 Cor 4:10)

Lets be real: the fool who says in his heart there is no God has it pretty good in this life. The culture supports him; he makes his own way. When you see his life, then look in the mirror, you wonder who the fool really is. 

This is my observation, and for whatever reason I was really feeling it today. But I was at least comforted in reading scripture tonight to know I was not the first:

"Surely God is good to Israel
to those who are pure in heart.
But as for me, my feet had almost slipped.
For I envied the arrogant when I saw the prosperity of the wicked.
They have no struggles;
Their bodies are healthy and strong.
They are free from the burdens common to man;
they are not plagued by human ills...
This is what the wicked are like--
always carefree, they increase in wealth.
Surely in vain have I kept my heart pure;
in vain have I washed my hands in innocence...
When I tried to understand all this, it was oppressive to me
till I entered the sanctuary of God;
then I understood their final destiny."
 (Ps 73:3:17)

"In this meaningless life of mine I have seen both of these:
a righteous man perishing in his righteousness
and a wicked man living long in his wickedness." 
(Ecc 7:15)

"In his pride the wicked does not seek Him;
in all his thoughts there is no room for God.
His ways are always prosperous." 
(Ps 10:4-5)


What does the "fool for Christ" look like? Well, like a fool. Yeah, this:

"We go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world." (1 Cor 4:11-13)


So, who's the real fool? Depends on your vantage point, I suppose. Sitting in the box office watching the Pauls of the world play out on the world stage in their divine comedy--serving wretches, eschewing security, putting their jobs and lives at risk by taking about imaginary men--it's pretty clear who the fool is. 

If you are a fool for Christ, on the other hand, you absolutely must recognize that what you are living for IS NOT HERE. It is not in this world. You can be reasonable and your faith informed by reason an talk coherently in complete sentences but there must also be that part of you that is like a man ON FIRE POSSESSED, for "the kingdom of God suffers violence, and violent men take it by force." (Mt 11:12). 

You are working for eternal reward, and even then the door is narrow. You are that man that finds the kingdom treasure hidden in a field and you sell every scrap you own, the shirt off your back, to BUY THAT FIELD SON. That's a little foolish. You see GOD HIMSELF in every wretch you meet, you see him EVERYWHERE. That's a little crazy. You believe death is not the end, but mile marker 0, when the trailer ends and things really get rolling. That's a little morbid. You look for people to join you, a righteous army, and end up with a rag-tag group of misfits, if you end up with anyone at all. That's a little depressing. You can't help but feel like a fool some days. And yet...

Yet wisdom is vindicated by all her children.
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing.
For this is what he promised us--even eternal life.


Comments